Friday, September 19, 2008

Trendy

Happy weekend!

Good:

I saw a doll this afternoon. Pink striped sundress, white skimmers, raspberry cardi. Her hair is what made her incredibly adorable. Big blond ringlets all over the place. It was a sweet beginning to a hopefully good weekend.

Also spotted: gray sundress with a printed hem, gold sandals. [There was a photo, but I'm lazy. It's Friday.] Presh, presh, presh.


Bad:

Before we get to the bad, a friend of mine - Jessica Taylor, who regularly looks fabulous - comes up to me at lunch, wearing a white T and green Sofees - she'd come straight from a work out - and says that as soon as she was walking up to the caf she thought to herself, "Shit, Danielle is going to say I was the worst dressed person today."

That is magic.

Sorry to disappoint, but there was much worse.

I am not for women wearing basketball shorts [unless actually playing basketball or working out, etc]. I think they are among the most defeminizing clothes out there. Say what you will of my beliefs about gender roles, but I'm with Diane Von Furstenburg - "Feel like a woman, wear a dress!" I truly don't know how to feel feminine in a pair of those . . . . things. Call me old fashioned, but I believe in women looking like women.

Girls here wear them all the time [with various sizes of muffin top]. ALL THE TIME. Nothing puts a rage in my heart faster than a pair of basketball shorts, a fitted t-shirt or over-sized hoodie, and unwashed hair.

That being said, there is a girl I have noticed on campus who has decided to make this her uniform. I've also noticed that she only has two pairs of these shorts. That's it, just two. And while I hate the shorts altogether, I'm feeling a bit of a Woody Allen moment here. "The food was terrible, and such small portions."

The whole situation is very disturbing.


Ugly:

Gurkee's. "What the fuck are Gurkee's," you ask. They happen to be fugly-ass, broke-down, janky "Jesus" rope sandals.



Not my Jesus.

My Jesus wears Tom Ford.

I will make a deal with you, Gurkee's fans. I will allow you to wear your ugly ass sandals in peace when you prove to me that you can do the following:

*Feed 5,000 + individuals with 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish
*Change water into wine [and none of that boxed shit, either]
*Heal the blind and ill with a single touch
*Resurrect both others and yourself from the dead [I'll give you three days to accomplish the latter]

"Fashions fade, style is eternal."
-
Yves Saint Laurent

2 comments:

Marcus Powers said...

Okay. In defense of Gurkees....I think they could be worked. In the right situation. By the right girl.

Dani said...

"In defense of Gurkee's . . . ."

Seriously? I mean . . . . seriously?

Gemma Ward probably couldn't make Gurkee's work. Hell, my icon Agyness probably couldn't make them work. If those aren't the right girls then I don't know who is.

And, praytell, what situation calls for Gurkee's other than an uber low-budget made-for-TV film version of a biblical story?