Monday, March 2, 2009

81st

Good afternoon, children.

Apologies for the lateness. Mais, c'est la vie.

I hope you all watched the Oscars last week. It was a beautiful show. The entire production was so thoughtfully put together, right down to the stage design.

But that's not our concern here.

[For the SNU kids who read this, I have a column in this last Echo, as well as a sidebar naming my favorite and least favorite celebs of the evening. You should go read it. It's a good choice.]

As I was watching the Red Carpet, I noticed that several trends were popping up in [at the very least] pairs. Yes, everyone and their mothers [sometimes literally. Get a date, people. Your mom is cute but she can't give you a real after party. I'm just saying . . . ] were in ivory, but apparently some of the attendees decided to phone a friend ahead of time so that they could match. Let's put them head to head, shall we?

Trend: Red
[Not my favorite color to see on the red carpet. It's usually too difficult for celebs to get right. Red is too beautiful a color to be made to look bad; she doesn't deserve that mess.]

Hit: Amy Adams
In: Carolina Herrera


Classic line, modern drape. And that bib necklace is perfection. Well done to Adams' stylist.

Miss: Amanda Seyfried
In: Valentino


Congratulations on looking like an orangey-red tuber, Amanda. A little more volume and you could have won the part of The Great Pumpkin in the upcoming live-action Charlie Brown.

Trend: Pink

Hit: Natalie Portman
In: Rodarte


The weaving detail on the bodice is wonderful, as are the multicolored gems. And she's so poised, as always. Natalie remains one of my absolute favorite women in Hollywood.

Miss: Alicia Keys
In: Armani Privé


The dress isn't the problem here. I'm actually a big fan; I love the detailing on the bodice. The problem is that homegirl doesn't know how to carry herself. The entire evening Keys looked as though she were going #2. Perhaps her handler was trailing her with a plastic baggie and a pooper scooper.

Trend: Black and Gold

Hit: Halle Berry
In: Marchesa


Gold sequins swathed in black tulle. Beaded appliques. Lovely.

Miss: Beyoncé
In: House of Dereon


Dereon. 'Nuff said. [Incidentally People.com called this dress "couture." Just because a fashion company has "House of" in it's name does not make it couture. You have to be a member. It's a fact.]

Trend: Paillettes

Hit: Tina Fey
In: Zac Posen


Classic old Hollywood. Arguably one of the best dressed of the evening. And can I just say, I think it's fabulous to finally have a comedienne who can dress.

[I would have picked Anne Hathaway, but it was the obvious choice.] [I will, however, give you a picture. Because she was gorgeous. And I like pictures.]


[In: Armani Privé]

Miss [but only by inches]: Leslie Mann
In: Pamela Rolland


It's a big pet peeve of mine when celebrities dress "above their station" at these events. You never attempt to outshine those nominated for best supporting or leading actress [hem, hem, Miley Cyrus]. It's their night, not yours. She was just as shiny as the Oscar statuettes, and, in my opinion, drawing too much attention to herself [she was a bit loud in interviews, too]. Classic middle child behavior. Mann looked good, and I love the dress, she just needed to tone it down a bit. I'm not saying don't stand out at all. Just don't stand out as much. [Remember, if everyone is special, then no one is.]

Trend: Black and Blue

Hit: Reese Witherspoon [Styled at the Vanity Fair Party, not on stage at the Ceremonies.]
In: Rodarte


An updated take on last year's surge of ombre dyes. Modern asymmetrical neckline and jeweled bodice. This dress is so beautiful, and so ahead of the curve. If she hadn't had her hair super tight and two black eyes on stage, she could have had a perfect evening.

[Leaning toward] Miss: Marion Cotillard
In:Dior


Layered tulle belted ballgown. Blue sequined bodice.
I'm still not sure how I feel about this. Not a big fan of the dress [something about short skirts with sheer overlays at the Oscars just bothers me], but . . . . I mean, she's French. It's almost a free pass. Almost.



I'm making this post pull double duty so I can say two things:

Magic after chapel hour this morning. Coming out of the library after work I walk directly into a group of 6 rather well-dressed gentlemen. [!!] All wearing slacks, 2 in button ups and vests, one sans vest but in a tie, 1 with a tie and a sweater pulled over, 2 in argyle sweaters. [Argyle is getting a bit tired, but I'm not complaining.]

Hooray! Well dressed boys again! It made my morning.

Also - I saw the cutest girl yesterday. Black and white scribble plaid strapless sheath. Bright blue cropped cardigan. Patent highlighter-yellow skinny belt. Loves.

"Fashions fade, style is eternal."
Yves Saint Laurent

11 comments:

Marcus Powers said...

Um...isn't that last girl you?

And I still don't like Reese's outfit. But that's just me.

Meg said...

Like I said- A bunch of anorexics strutting around in dresses so expensive that they could feed a whole third world country for a year. Yet you people are dying with envy. Sickening.

Dani said...

Good to see you commenting, Meg.

Say your piece, I think it's great for people to voice their opinions.

I'm not going to argue with you on the overly expensive dresses. It's a valid argument to harbor disdain for Hollywood. The money could be better spent feeding the needy worldwide.

As for envy, not so much. If you read my column you'd have at least a small grasp over why I am fascinated with fashion and film and celebrities. It doesn't fully cover every aspect of why I hold this fascination, but it's a start.

Per your comment on the previous post, do I wish I were an "anorexic celebrit[y who] strut[s] around in [a dress] that cost[s] so much [it] could feed a third world country for a year"? No.

I don't comment on body. Please read the post again. Had you followed my live commentary via Twitter on Oscar night you would have seen that I frequently comment on how much I wish most of these ladies would gain some weight - especially Angelina Jolie, who looks quite skeletal of late.

As I said previously, you have a valid point about the clothing; I won't contest that.

Perhaps these women suffer from anorexia, perhaps not. [Many nutritionists feel that most do not suffer from anorexia nervosa, but those who have issues with weight suffer from what is commonly referred to as "exercise bulimia."]

This is a subject that I do not like being joked about. My cousin is a recovered - if you believe that one can fully recover [I don't]- anorexic. Hannah was in and out of hospitals throughout her teens due to the disease. If you're simply flippantly throwing the term "anorexic" about, I'd like you to stop. It's not a laughing matter.

One last thing. I have a request, if you please. I don't expect you to understand or to feel compelled to comply, but I'd appreciate if you'd not call me Dani. We're not friends, and I'd prefer you to address me as Danielle.

Dani said...

Marcus:

1. Yes. But it was my birthday. And . . . Well, you saw the dress. You can't fault me for that.

2. To each her or his own. I understand your view and you understand mine. I say this to you for possibly the first time regarding fashion: agree to disagree.

Meg said...

I do not think anorexia or any eating disorder is a joke. I think these celebrities that you idolize glorify it and set a horrible example for girls and young women. Whether they admit it or not they are making a choice to destroy their bodies and health for the sake of being skinny. Name one girl on this campus that has a move star body type ( 5' 7'' or taller, 105 or smaller, big boobs) Having trouble? Yeah- because there are non. Why are you showing us these celebrities in their outfits when it is completely unrealistic that we could ever look like that and pull if off.

Meg said...

Oh and I hope you have a good weekend- DANI.

Marcus Powers said...

Wow, Meg. Real mature, there.

Dani said...

I think that many of the styles I posted are nearly universally flattering, honestly.

Carolia Herrera - slight sweetheart neckline - great for the shoulders and neck. Slight A-line skirt - enough to showcase a woman's natural curve, but not so full that it makes one look fat. Both she and Diane Von Furstenberg are renowned for designing for a "real woman's" body.

Rodarte [on Natalie] - much of the same lines.

The same hold for Alicia Keys' and Reese Witherspoon's dresses.

As for Marion Cotillard, virtually no one looks bad in a belted ballgown.

The columns are a bit more revealing, but as the have more structure, they're more flattering that most women would believe. Many women shy away from these styles because they don't believe they can pull them off. This is a problem of self-esteem, and while celebrities may have an impact on that, it is wholly up to the individual to find his or her own sense of worth.

Perhaps these celebrities do set a bad example. I'm sorry if this sounds hateful, but anyone who follows an example like the one you feel these women set is wallowing in his or her own ignorance.

"Whether they admit it or not they are making a choice to destroy their bodies and health for the sake of being skinny." Exactly. It's their choice. If you don't like it, make a different decision.

Once again I say: I comment on the clothes, not idolize the individuals.

"Why are you showing us these celebrities in their outfits when it is completely unrealistic that we could ever look like that and pull if off."

I'm taking this as a personal challenge. One that I will gladly accept. If any lady or gentleman would like to have a shopping day, and let me [or Marcus, since I know he would love to help] style them, I would be happy to show you how beautiful you truly are and just how much you can "pull off."

One last thing, just a bit of housekeeping.

Meg, I simply cannot allow you to be the token antagonist anymore. I've decided to turn on comment moderation. If you have something valid to say, such as your argument about the thinness of celebrities, I will post it, you have my word.

But I certainly cannot allow you to be as hateful as you were in the beginning. I can see from your blatantly antagonistic second comment disregarding my request that this is still the young lady you are.

If you want your comment posted, you will refrain from calling me Dani. It may seem small to most, but you are very aware that it is a big deal to me.

I genuinely hope you have a good weekend as well.

shane said...

I'm impressed. It takes a lot of patience and restraint to argue with crazy, but you somehow keep it civil (at least on this blog). I'm glad we're friends.

Dani said...

Thank you. I really appreciate that. And I'm really glad we're friends too. You've taught me a lot in the ways of patience and restraint.

I'm trying really hard to keep the peace. I admire anyone who does it naturally. I, for one, do not possess this gift innately.

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to side with Danielle on the Reese topic. That gal can pull off anything!